Saturday 15 May 2021

Sometimes it's okay to give for wrong reasons

A few years ago, my wife and daughter suggested we donate to our municipal library. My response was viewed as cold: “You know we already pay library taxes, right? It’s right on our property tax bill. I can show you.”  

Surprisingly, they didn’t want to be shown. 

Seeing this was a battle I couldn’t win, I relented. I gave the institution twenty bucks.

A few days later, I received a rather lengthy message from someone at the library thanking me for my donation. They even asked if I wanted to go out for coffee sometime. 

Obviously, they don’t get many donations. But still, it was nice. 

It was also enough to make me a regular donor. Because every year, a few days after my donation, I get the customary phone call. 

This year I even upped my pledge. It felt so good... I mean to get that phone call. The message they left was even longer, even more effusive in their gratitude. I listened to it at least a couple times. 

As altruistic as I like to think I am, there’s an immense feeling of satisfaction in giving to organizations that put you on a pedestal for your ounce of generosity. (And let’s be clear, my donation likely only covered an hour’s wage of the person calling back donors to thank them for their donations.) 

For the most part, our family’s donations come automatically out of our bank account. That’s all well and good. In fact, I prefer it because I miss the money less, and we know that non-profits depend on a steady stream of funds. 

But there are a few organizations we give to out of the blue, just because we want to. It’s those little gifts that can be the most rewarding. 

Giving to people on the street can have a similar, uplifting effect.  

Like the guy I met one morning walking to work. This young man looked a little down on his luck when he asked for change, so I gave him $20. He thanked me as I began walking away, telling me about all he could buy with the cash. That made me feel good. Which made me wonder, did I really do it for him? 

I realize doling out change (or bills) may not be the best way to alleviate poverty, at least that’s what I’ve been told; better to give to an organization that helps the needy rather than to complete strangers. But is this always true? 

Some research has shown that giving directly to the poorest of the poor can be more effective than giving to organizations that assist the poor. Why? Because the poorest of the poor (generally) put every dollar to good use. A gift of cash through GiveDirectly, for example, can be life-changing, enabling families to repair homes, buy livestock and medicine, and invest in education. 

Microloans don’t appear to have the same track record. Although these may feel more prudent to us Westerners – encouraging entrepreneurship, helping people become more self-sufficient, etc. – they aren't always that effective. Give a family a boost in cash, and the improvements to their lives are immediate and even longer lasting. 

With that all said, our family continues to give to larger non-profit organizations. They’ve been doing their work for years and seem to be pretty good at it.  

Like the library.... Yes, I know, it’s not even a charity – although technically, it has charitable status (an all-important factor when filling out your tax return). 

But in the end, it’s more than the charitable tax receipt or knowing I’ve helped an organization I value.  

It’s all about that phone call. 

No comments:

Post a Comment