Saturday 25 April 2020

Sensor-free toilets and 3-ply toilet paper: Advantage home office

I don’t think I put on deodorant the other day. I’m two days behind on my shaving schedule, and my nose hairs are becoming unruly. 
My hair is starting to covider, I mean cover my ears. I’ve so far resisted the spousal haircut, although I'm tempted to try. I’ve got time for bald spots to regrow. 
Sometimes I wear jeans to work, but it’s rare. Normally pajama pants suffice. I’m alternating between a sweatshirt with holes in the armpits and one with a ripped, drooping collar. I’ve tried on old t-shirts as well, some that have been neglected for years. 
Some experts have suggested dressing up every day when working from home, but I fail to see the point. These pandemics (hopefully) only come around every hundred years. Every day I can roll straight out of bed and into my office chair, I'll take it. Unless your self-esteem is built upon wearing a suit every day, I suggest sticking to the sweatpants – or better yet, shorts. You might even want to take them off every once in a while, although this holds risks during video conferences. 
Working from home has never been encouraged in my workplace, so I’ve never tried. Even when the pandemic began, they were hesitant to release us. Perhaps they feared we would succumb to daytime television, with its lineup of soaps and Oprah spinoffs (can anything really replace Oprah?)
I’ve never worked from home, so I’m surprised how much more productive I’ve become. I attribute this to the absence of cubicles.
 With four co-workers within three metres of you, it can be hard to maintain focus. Every sneeze, cough, and drop of sweat forming on a colleague’s feverish forehead becomes an unwanted interruption, particularly during a pandemic. There are also other non-pandemic-related issues like people talking on speakerphone, eating too loud, and clipping their nails (and no, it’s not me). 
There are other benefits to working from home, like having access to my own personal bathroom. Searching for that elusive free stall in our seven-floor building is a routine way of life at my work. Toilets with hypersensitive flush sensors are also commonplace (third floor in particular). I fail to see the enjoyment of sitting for lengthy periods of time on a toilet that flushes every thirty seconds, yet some of my male colleagues seem to find their solace there. Then there’s the one-ply toilet paper, the stuff that pretty much falls apart in your hand. Yes, it’s rough. And pity the man who has to be the first one to open a roll, because short of ripping it open with your fingernails, there’s no other way in.  
Access to my own personal kitchen is also an advantage. The work place kitchen, as we all know, can be a bastion of foul smells and disease. One must avoid opening the fridge as much as possible (who knows what lurks in its deepest recesses) and take caution when using the microwave (was that fish you were reheating?) Our cubicles sit so close to the kitchen that every noon hour a unique aroma wafts into our workspace: a rich blend of TV dinner chemicals and lively leftovers. 
Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy my workplace. The more I think about it, our cubicle farm is kind of like a dormitory, but for adults. So long as you get along with your colleagues, which I do, it can be quite enjoyable. 
In one or two years, I look forward to working there again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment