Saturday 28 March 2020

Just one more COVID-19 update

COVID-19 updates are coming fast and furious, all into my email inbox. 
Honda let me know they’ll deliver parts if I need them... to my doorstep. What I’ll do with them once delivered, I have no idea. There must be a YouTube video on how to install new brake pads, but do I really trust myself? As someone who dismantled my entire headlight to replace a bulb... no, I don’t. 
My internet/cable provider assures me I will have broadband internet long into the future, and even extra channels free of charge. Why not just throw in free cable? What a great time to foster former addictions. 
Some store I bought shoes from in Vancouver is closing until April. Good to know. I had no idea they had a store in Vancouver. I'll continue to purchase online. 
My masseuse said she won’t give massages again until April 24th. I seriously wish she would reconsider. My back is killing me after sitting for hours on end in my easy chair (surprisingly, it’s not that comfortable!) 
And then there’s A&W.... Drive-through only?? Okay, I can live with that. You don’t have to send me an email though. I would figure it out. 
My anti-virus software company’s update was more useful. They tell me hackers are taking advantage of the pandemic to spread digital viruses. They use fake websites to install malware and pretend to be vendors selling virus protection supplies like face masks and hand gels. Very disconcerting, because in times of panic, you know they’ll have success. 
But by far the best updates have come from Galen Weston, CEO of Loblaws (i.e. Superstore). In a very comforting, reassuring way, he told me that I should not worry (in fact, he said it a few times). They will continue to restock their shelves. They will provide for seniors during certain times of the day. They will not increase their prices.  
“Be kind,” he writes. “We will get through it.” How is that the CEO of a grocery store chain can make me feel so relieved? Maybe I’m more anxious than I care to admit. 
Because what he’s really saying is: “Rest assured, more toilet paper is coming.” 
That counts for a lot. 
Have you run out yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment