Saturday 4 April 2015

When good Mennonites go bad



            Some news you just can’t make up.  Last week I read in Maclean’s that Mennonites are at the heart of a new bylaw in Taber, Alberta, that prohibits spitting, yelling and swearing in public.  In Taber, “rude and destructive” Mennonites are apparently a problem that can only be dealt with by beefing up the law.
            That’s right, Mennonites.  The “quiet of the land,” as they were once known (before they started swearing, I guess). Back in the 16th Century, Mennonites (a.k.a. Anabaptists) were persecuted for being do-gooders.  In that period, a person who didn’t drink to excess, curse, or abuse his fellow workers could be suspected of being an Anabaptist and consequently be burned at the stake.
            How times have changed.  Now we’re known for hanging out in parking lots, swearing at innocent Wal-Mart shoppers (after church, no less).  
            I suppose with every ethnic group there comes a point in time where a few members tarnish the reputation of the broader group.  And I’m not about to say that Mennonites haven’t done things to upset the applecart in the past (they were persecuted plenty for their refusal to participate in the military), but it’s usually in defense of some higher, moral value like peace or social justice.
             This is just plain embarrassing.  I was once proud to be a Mennonite.  And I realize this is an oxymoron, as Mennonites are taught to be humble.  But I was proud of our humble and quiet ways, gosh darn it!
            As Mennonites, we traditionally enjoy quiet gatherings, with no dancing or alcohol permitted.  Sometimes we’ll have watermelon and roll kuchen (you can look it up) and break into hymns of praise, but that’s the extent of our rabble-rousing. 
            Now we’re at risk of being lumped together with those who allegedly break into cars, chew tobacco and spit at people.
            I suppose I could take the low road and blame this on a different kind of Mennonite.  From what I’ve read, most of the trouble-makers involve the youth of those who have emigrated from Mexico. This group had originally fled to from Ukraine and Russia over 100 years ago, just as my grandfather immigrated to Canada from Russia in the 1920s to escape the Soviet Union.  Now they’re escaping the drug-related violence of Mexico.
They’re certainly used to a different kind of life in Mexico, and seem to face challenges adjusting to Canadian norms and customs.
Despite our divergence in cultures over the last 100 years, we nonetheless bear the same name and ancestral roots.  And just as the majority of Muslims shudder when they hear about the atrocities of the new Islamic State, so I shudder when I hear about Mennonites terrorizing the poor citizens of Taber, Alberta.
            Now if you’ll excuse me, it’s just about time for my meta schlop.

No comments:

Post a Comment