Thursday 21 June 2012

Leave renos to real men (and women)


            I have a lot of respect for those who can renovate their own homes.  In an age of do-it-yourselfers, it’s quite an honour to be able to say, “See that new bathroom vanity?  I did that.”
            I’ve got a few of those places in my own home.  “See that new light fixture?  I did that.”  “See that caulking in the bathtub – I did that.”  “See that new drywall and crusty mudding that still isn’t painted?  Yah, I did that, too.”
When installing light fixtures, turn off electricity
            You get the picture – I don’t do renovations on a large scale.  I try to patch up small areas where I can to maintain our home, but I certainly don’t try to make any structural changes.  And I avoid contractors as much as I possibly can.
            When it came to installing new plumbing under my sink, I let a friend do it – having only done it once before, he did a fabulous job (still no leaks!)  When I needed an extra cabinet beside my newly installed dishwasher, I got my brother-in-law to do it.  And he too did a fine job with the supplies he was provided with (I only gave him $20 to work with – just kidding!)
            Contrast that with a few experiences I’ve had with contractors.  When I got a contractor to put in a new countertop in my kitchen, he got the measurements wrong and had to do the whole thing over again – a process that took six extra weeks.  When I got a so-called plumber to hook up my dishwasher, he hooked up the wrong pipes.
            That’s not to say that there aren’t good contractors out there, but one must be quite wary of the quality and cost.
When caulking, use your finger to create a nice smooth surface
            In a booming economy like ours, contractors are a costly bunch and hard to find.  If you can get a trusted contractor who works for $50 an hour, you’re doing quite well.  Compare that to my dad’s handyman, a retired farmer who will fix anything that is made of wood or steel, and works for a humble rate of $15 an hour.  Your best bet is to find someone you know.
            That’s why I also feel sorry for those who have the innate ability to fix things.  They’re in high demand.  I’m sure they select their friends carefully.  They look for friends with newly renovated, well-maintained homes.
            When we bought our home we were pleased with the work that had already been done.  We didn’t want a fixer-upper, but nevertheless, there are always things you want to change in a 35-year-old home.  Renovating our basement was my own personal project that brought about some tears, but also a sense of accomplishment once it was done.  (I should clarify – when I say renovate, I mean painting the walls and ceiling, adjusting some wood panelling, and installing new light fixtures!)  The new carpet and trim was professionally installed – I don’t dare dabble in work involving air guns and saws that require electricity.
On drywall, try to fan the mud in all different directions

            Sure, as my handyman cousin suggested, I could have saved some money on the trim by buying a saw myself and doing the work.  And sure, I could have also had one less finger – would I be the better for it?  Not at all.  There are some things I would rather not learn how to do.  I simply do not have the interest or temperament.
            Give me a book and I’ll write you a book review, but don’t give me a hammer and nails to make a bird house. 
            And I feel no shame.  So I paid someone a few hundred dollars to expertly do something I could spend months learning to do on my own?  I saved both time and tears (and I do cry when it comes to renos).
I take the view of one of my co-workers who was rather frank when commenting on what he did last weekend.  “I cut the grass,” he said.  “I didn’t do anything else.  I don’t like to work with my hands.”
Amen, brother, amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment